How Corporations Influence
Peter Rost, former Pharmaceutical Executive, talks about how corporations influence the Medical Establishment.
The following transcription is taken from the above excerpt, taken from the documentary film “One More Girl“:
“Universities, health organisations, everybody that I’ve encountered in my former career as a pharmaceutical executive, are out there with their hands out.
[pullquote-right]The reality is, they’re not going to continue to get money unless they’re saying what you want them to say. They know it. You know it. It’s only maybe the public who doesn’t know it. [/pullquote-right]
You know, everybody is begging for money; nobody has any money: the government doesn’t have any money, universities don’t have money, nobody has money, the only ones that have money are the big multinational corporations.
And they have LOTS of money.
And they use that money to basically buy influence.
And the way it’s done is,
- you give these organizations and institutions grants for various kinds of research
- you develop research together with them
- you establish friends with them
- you make sure they become beholden to you
- you also pay individual doctors, professors and researchers directly
- you may pay them as speakers to travel around the country, $1000 or $2000 per day, sometimes more
- you give them money for programs, educational programs, where they can make a profit, and then they put on these programs.
And they’re supposed to be, third-party, independent from the company, which is all fine. But as you and I can both imagine, if you have a promotional budget with a corporation, you are probably going to give that money to the universities that do the programs, that most support your drug. And the ones that don’t, or are critical in any shape or form, they’re not going to get anything.
And everybody knows how things work.
And that means that even if you can officially claim, well, this is arm’s-length, we didn’t have anything to do with it, we just gave them a grant, they can do whatever they want with it.
The reality is, they’re not going to continue to get money unless they’re saying what you want them to say. They know it. You know it. It’s only maybe the public who doesn’t know it.
And that’s how you influence the medical establishment – simply with money!”